Caherconnell – One of Ireland’s Premier Archaeology Field Schools
Our vision for Caherconnell Archaeology Field School is to provide unforgettable archaeological experiences within the unique Burren region.
In partnership with the National University of Ireland in Galway, we aim to provide the very best archaeological education as well as a cultural element, which sees students interact with the local people daily.
Why Choose Caherconnell Archaeology Field School?
- Excavate Monday to Friday, and explore and learn at the weekend.
- You will be excavating a 10th-century AD royal settlement.
- The quantity and quality of the artefacts being uncovered is impressive.
- This site is of huge significance to Irish archaeology, the first of its kind to be excavated.
- Explore material culture, history, economic, political and social structure.
- Understand and work with our high standards of excavation.
- The skills you learn here can be used anywhere in the world.
- To ensure the best training and experience possible, we limit our group sizes to 20.
- Our pupil teacher ratio is 5 to 1
- Experience all of this in the safe, controlled environment.
- Take in the stunning Irish landscape of The Burren and the Wild Atlantic Way.
- Read our detailed dig reports.
Everything taken care of – we organise accommodation, meals, daily transport, weekend learning, on-site lectures and daily tuition. Come along and join the team!
Delight at all of the archaeological intrigues at Caherconnell, Ireland. The site is also home to three stone cahers (ring forts), a probable Late Bronze Age burial mound,an ancient field system, two Bronze Age boulder burials,ancient dwelling sites and a prehistoric house.
Course Schedule 2018 for one of Ireland’s Top Irish Archaeology Field Schools
6 Week Combined Course: SS109/SS110/SS112 – (18 ECTS or 9US Credit Hours) 6 Weeks
May 28th-July 6th 2018
June 11th-July 20th 2018
June 25th-August 3rd 2018
4 Week Combined Course: SS109/SS110- (12 ECTS or 6US Credit Hours) 4 Weeks
May 28th-June 22nd 2018
July 9th-Aug 3rd 2018
Introduction to Archaeological Survey: SS112-(6ECTS or 3US Credit Hours) 2 Weeks
June 25th-July 6th 2018
Introduction to Archaeological Excavation: SS109-(6ECTS or 3US Credit Hours) 2 Weeks
May 28th-June 8th 2018
July 9th-July 20th 2018
July 23rd-Aug 3rd 2018
Intermediate Archaeological Excavation: SS110-(6ECTS or 3US Credit Hours) 2 Weeks
June 11th-June 22nd 2018
July 23rd-Aug 3rd 2018
“This is an experience of a lifetime and definitely one
that will be remembered for a very long time,
I am so grateful that I did this.”
– Corinne Kindoll (USA), Caherconnell Field School Student
Experience Archaeology in Ireland with a difference
Your time here will see you work with some of Ireland’s best archaeologists during the day and some of Ireland’s finest conversationalists at night!
The Caherconnell Archaeology field school experience is one which will not be soon forgotten and will allow students to experience the very best of Irish archaeology and culture all at once.
If you want to learn the skills of archaeological fieldwork in a fun yet professional manner – where academic credit is available –Caherconnell Archaeology Field School is the only place for you.
Contact Us Today On +353 65 7089999 or Drop Us An Email At: email@example.com
Situated in the historic town of Kilfenora this will be your home during your stay. It is both comfortable and conveniently located beside the hugely popular Vaughan’s Bar and Restaurant where music, Irish dancing and a good old chat are complimentary. Dine at Vaughan’s each evening during your stay (covered by fees). Click here to view the dinner menu.
**Due to the very low student-teacher ratio (5:1) a limited number of places are available **
Students at Caherconnell – Summer 2016